- Fryer or Wok
- 250 ml milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 115 g plain flour
- 3 medium egg yolks
- 2 cups oil for deep frying
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup cream or full cream milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- A pinch salt
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa and milk, stirring with a whisk until completely combined and smooth.
- Turn heat on stove to medium and stirring occasionally, bring to a boil.
- Stir in butter and continue to boil until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and salt. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Bring milk, sugar, and butter to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Sift in flour. Stir with a wooden spoon until combined and dough comes away from side of pan. Remove from heat.
- Stand, covered with plastic wrap, for 3 minutes.
- Beat in egg yolks with wooden spoon, one at a time.
- Spoon dough into a piping bag fitted with a 2cm star nozzle.
- Heat oil to 180°C (350°F)
- Pipe 2 inches lengths into oil, cutting off the dough with a sharp knife or scissors. Deep fry churros until golden brown, then drain on absorbent paper.
- Dust with caster sugar and cinnamon, and/or serve with chocolate sauce.